MichaelBriggs

The Captain's Daughter
Peter David
The Eye of God: A Sigma Force Novel
James Rollins
A Curious Man: The Strange and Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe It or Not!" Ripley
Neal Thompson
Twenty-five Books That Shaped America: How White Whales, Green Lights, and Restless Spirits Forged Our National Identity - Thomas C. Foster, Sean Pratt Of the 25 works included in the book, there were the expected ones, like Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huck Finn, Herman Melville's Moby Dick, Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, Walt Whitman's The Leaves of Grass, Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, The Maltese Falcon, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Robert Frost, the unexpected but known (The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, The Cat in the Hat, Kerouac's On the Road), and several that I had never before heard before (Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon, Thomas Pynchon’s The Crying of Lot 49, Their Eyes Were Watching God, and Louise Erdrich's Love Medicine).

I noticed one common theme in the choice selection, maybe something that wasn't really there, but one that I seemed to pick up on, is that the author, Foster, prefers the loose, plot-less books & short story collections which he prefers to call novels.

The most entertaining reads were the chapters on The Cat in the Hat and To Kill a Mockingbird. I also found, with some exceptions, that the chapters that contained books I had read were easier and or more enjoyable reads than those chapters about works I had never heard of before. As mentioned, there are exceptions.