MichaelBriggs

The Captain's Daughter
Peter David
The Eye of God: A Sigma Force Novel
James Rollins
A Curious Man: The Strange and Brilliant Life of Robert "Believe It or Not!" Ripley
Neal Thompson
Here Is New York - E.B. White, Roger Angell, Barbara Cohen, Judith Stonehill Powerful short book that pulled me along from the first sentence all the way to be battered about the head near the end. Others have noted it in reviews, I believe maybe even on here. Noted the mention of the planes. And the destruction. The mention of how New Yorkers fear the planes, collapsing buildings, fire, destruction . . .

"burn the towers, crumble the bridges, turn the underground passages into lethal chambers, cremate the millions. The intimation of mortality is part of New York now" . . .

Again, this has been mentioned before. And I had known about it before I started. The book pulled me in, though, and I didn't remember, didn't recall then rushed into the death and destruction as the page turned. Of course the book is from 1949. The book actually ends with the building of the United Nations complex. Not the fall of the Twin Towers. And the planes, well the part I left out from the quote above shows how this destruction is feared to come about "[a] single flight of planes no bigger than a wedge of geese can quickly end this island fantasy..." The fear is bomber planes. Though planes flying into the Empire State building was mentioned in an earlier section.

A riveting book that pulled me in from beginning to end, a quick read read in one sitting.